[alsa-devel] [GIT PULL FOR 2.6.39] Media controller and OMAP3 ISP driver

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at redhat.com
Sat Mar 5 19:14:06 CET 2011

Em 05-03-2011 11:29, Sylwester Nawrocki escreveu:
> Hi David,
>
> On 03/05/2011 02:04 PM, David Cohen wrote:
>> Hi Hans,

>>> You can't do that in general. Only for specific hardware platforms. If you
>>> could do it, then we would have never bothered creating these mediabus fourccs.
>>>
>>> How a mediabus fourcc translates to a pixelcode (== memory format) depends
>>> entirely on the hardware capabilities (mostly that of the DMA engine).
>>
>> May I ask you one question here? (not entirely related to this patch set).
>> Why pixelcode != mediabus fourcc?
>> e.g. OMAP2 camera driver talks to sensor through subdev interface and
>> sets its own output pixelformat depending on sensor's mediabus fourcc.
>> So it needs a translation table mbus_pixelcode ->  pixelformat. Why
>> can't it be pixelformat ->  pixelformat ?
>>

> Let me try to explain, struct v4l2_mbus_framefmt::code (pixelcode)
> describes how data is transfered/sampled on the camera parallel or serial bus.
> It defines bus width, data alignment and how many data samples form a single
> pixel.
>
> struct v4l2_pix_format::pixelformat (fourcc) on the other hand describes how
> the image data is stored in memory.
>
> As Hans pointed out there is not always a 1:1 correspondence, e.g.

The relation may not be 1:1 but they are related.

It should be documented somehow how those are related, otherwise, the API
will be obscure.

Of course, the output format may be different than the internal formats,
since some bridges have format converters.

> 1. Both V4L2_MBUS_FMT_YUYV8_1x16 and V4L2_MBUS_FMT_YUYV8_2x8 may being
> translating to V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV fourcc,

Ok, so there is a relationship between them.

> 2. Or the DMA engine in the camera host interface might be capable of
> converting single V4L2_MBUS_FMT_RGB555 pixelcode to V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB555
> and V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB565 fourcc's. So the user can choose any of them they
> seem most suitable and the hardware takes care of the conversion.

No. You can't create an additional bit. if V4L2_MBUS_FMT_RGB555 provides 5
bits for all color channels, the only corresponding format is V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB555,
as there's no way to get 6 bits for green, if the hardware sampled it with
5 bits. Ok, some bridge may fill with 0 an "extra" bit for green, but this
is the bridge doing a format conversion.

In general, for all RGB formats, a mapping between MBUS_FMT_RGBxxx and the
corresponding fourcc formats could be mapped on two formats only:
V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGBxxx or V4L2_PIX_FMT_BGRxxx.