[alsa-devel] snd_pcm_hw_params_set_buffer_time_near: invalid argument

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 23:32:22 CET 2011

On 7 March 2011 23:24, Raymond Yau <superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This seem to be bug in alsa-lib as I can reproduce using alsa-lib/test/pcm.c
> with buffer time 120000 and my hda codec support both 11025Hz and 22050Hz
>
> using buffer time 160000 is OK

Yes.. It's hard to understand why 120ms wouldn't be okay, but 160ms would.

Could you check is 400ms works for you ? I found this to be a value
that generally do not work when using 44.1kHz 6 channels audio.

For the time being, I made my application use 500ms buffer; this is
what many media players are using (including mplayer) , so I'm
guessing it would be fine under most circumstances otherwise we would
have heard about it before.

Jean-Yves