[alsa-devel] Jack event API - decision needed

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jun 29 07:34:11 CEST 2011

At Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:59:18 -0700,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 06:35:33PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > If only the same functionality is required as currently done in the
> > input-jack layer, re-implementing the jack-detection elements in ALSA
> > control API is pretty easy.  It means that the control element would
> > have some jack name with a location prefix or such, reports the
> > current jack status, and notifies the jack change.  That's all.
> > Optionally, it can have a TLV data giving the HD-audio jack
> > attribute, too.
>
> It needs a subset of the current information - it should report only
> audio events, so pretty much only headphone, microphone or line out
> presence.

Is that really all for PA, for now, and even for future?
That's my primary question.  Was this clarified in the thread...?

>  Anything else needs to be reported via a different API and
> figured out by userspace, and the input device should stay there for
> button press events.

The first and the second part are independent, IMO.
That is, whether using the input-jack device in future is an open
question.  It might be better to re-implement in a new API in a
unified way, for example.
Of course, keeping the old API is mandatory, so we'll still keep
the input-jack code in future, though.

thanks,