[alsa-devel] compile problems

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Mon Jun 27 18:30:40 CEST 2011

On 06/27/2011 12:07 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:31:18 -0400,
> David Henderson wrote:
>> On 06/27/2011 11:20 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> Pass the root path to alsa/*.h to --with-alsa-inc-prefix option, i.e.
>>> in your case, it's /opt/staging/alsa/var/share/include.
>>>
>>> But, the path is really odd and almost kidding (/share under
>>> /var...?)  Is it really correct?
>>>

>>> Takashi
>> Thanks for the additional help Takashi!  I've tried that as well without
>> any luck - still errors out at the same place and with the same
>> message.
> Then you should check config.log at the place error occurred.
> It contains more details.
> I guess you'll have to pass also --with-alsa-prefix pointing to the
> path where your local libasound.so.2 is placed.
>
>>   I know that some of the paths are non-traditional, but there
>> were certain guidelines that had to be met with this custom distro.  As
>> a result, some of the directories had to get moved.  That shouldn't be
>> adding to the problem right?  Since we're telling configure exactly
>> where to locate the files...
> Well, it's still very strange path.  The share sub-directory
> definitely doesn't belong under /var.  I'd understand that
> /opt/staging/alsa is a prefix for some build-root.  But /var/share
> is weird.  If any, it should be /usr/share.
>

> Takashi

I checked in the log file, but I didn't notice anything that gave an
indication as to the failure.  Is there any spot in particular to look
as the log just ends with "configure: exit 1", but everything above it
just appears to be bash-styled variable assignments.

I ended up using the following configure parameters, but with the same
results:
    --with-alsa-inc-prefix=/opt/staging/alsa/var/share/include/alsa
--with-alsa-prefix=/opt/staging/alsa/lib
and I've confirmed that the appropriate files reside in the passed
directories.

Obviously the traditional directory layout is /usr/share, but the distro
doesn't have a /usr directory.  As a result, the directories that were
under that parent directory had to be moved.  The chosen spot for some
of them was /var (although the header files could have been moved to
/lib/... perhaps).  At any rate, that's where the files are located.

Dave