[alsa-devel] Realtek ALC662 rev1 no sound over HDMI

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jun 27 11:14:24 CEST 2011

At Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:45:30 +0200,
crow wrote:

> I am trying to get sound working on kernel 2.6.39 (under archlinux
> x86_64 bit distribution) over HDMI to my digital receiver but without
> luck. Before this post i asked in #alsa for help, and everything we
> tried over there didnt get the sound over HDMI.
> I connected headphones to the green jack and ran speaker-test and
> there is sound over jack, analog sound plays fine. But runing
> alsamixer un-muting spdif/iec958/spdif (1) and trying to re run
> speaker-test doesn't output sound over HDMI to my digital receiver.

Note that on your device HDMI goes through Nvidia HDMI codec, thus
it's irrelevant with ALC262 at all.  The machine shows an SPDIF
output connected to ALC262, but this must be different from the HDMI
output.  So, the first SPDIF/IEC958 setup is also irrelevant.
The second IEC958 setup is for HDMI.

> I tried to use /etc/asound.conf for global settings (tooked from
> 2.6.35 archlinux i686 installation) but does not work with 2.6.39
> installation, even I am not able to play analog sound:
> speaker-test -c2 -twav -l1
> This above works without asound.conf, and it plays analog sound on headphones.
>
> This is how i tried to play sound over HDMI:
> speaker-test -c2 -D plughw:0,3 -twav -l1
>
> The above command does output sound on 2.6.35 (but just over Fron Right)

So, something was wrong even on 2.6.35?

> I run alsa-info.sh script on both installation and it can be found on
> (2) kernel 2.6.39 and (3) kernel 2.6.35.
>
> I was hoping to get sound working with 2.6.39 (current official
> archlinux kernel) over HDMI by just un-muting spdif with alsamixer,
> but it seems not to be that easy.
>
> (1) http://www.abload.de/img/alsa01ji6j.png
> (2) http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=7bf61ad34a4bb51b615773aab69ae904693a07d7
> (3) http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3694c9052c2b8f5d78f8a9e2a465a7c94885449b

It's Nvidia, so make sure that the video-driver side supports HDMI
audio properly.  You can check /proc/asound/card0/eld#* file to see
whether the monitor is properly detected and what ELD values are
read.