[alsa-devel] M-Audio FTU issues

Felix Homann linuxaudio at showlabor.de
Fri Jun 24 11:08:39 CEST 2011

[I've received an Attachement Blocking Notification for the below
message. Since I don't know if it was blocked for all recipients this is
the same mail without the attachement.]

Hi again,

Am 24.06.2011 03:14, schrieb Daniel Mack:

> Hence my question is: How do you guys test? I renderened a sine tone
> in different samplerates and bit depths to .wav files and play them
> with aplay (no pulseaudio or anything in the chain). Could you try the
> same and report what happens?

OK, I've rendered a sine to a .wav (well, in audacity), played it via
aplay on the FTU8R and could hear the clicks. I've been using plughw
though, cause I don't remember right now how to convert bit-depths.

I even played sines directly from puredata and audacity without JACK and
could still hear the clicks.

Please, make sure you have the routing "diagonal", i.e. "DIn i - Out j"
is set to 0% if i !=j and 100% if i == j. I've attached a small bash
script to accomplish this. After plugging the device in all playback
volumes are initially at 100%. I could not notice the clicks then unless
it turned the volume very very loud (I guess aplay plays back on all
channels, which blurs the clicks).

If you still can't hear the clicks please try using a headphone?
Sometimes the clicks are hardly noticable when there's minimal
background noise. You might even have turn the volume higher than
convenient for your ears...

I hope this helps hearing the clicks using the unmodified driver.

Kind regards,

Felix