[alsa-devel] Mixer control for signed gain value

Patrick Lai plai at codeaurora.org
Thu Jun 23 08:32:19 CEST 2011

The CODEC I am working with takes byte-long gain value in two's
complement form.
In soc-core.c, the closest functions I see are

These functions are coded to work with two integer values. For my
purpose, I suppose that I can always set 2nd integer input as zero.
However, would I still be able to set volume like
amixer sset "Codec Gain" 100 as percentage. If yes, how will amixer
know to put upper 8 bits of 16 bit gain in 2nd integer value element?