[alsa-devel] Major reworks on patch_via.c (TESTERS WANTED)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Jun 22 16:28:36 CEST 2011

At Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:06:51 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as there have many problems reported for VIA codecs, I started looking
> at the driver code, and decided to rework on it.
>
> The current development is found in sound git tree topic/via-cleanup
> branch:
>    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git
>
> You can pull into the latest Linus tree from topic/via-cleanup
> branch:
>    # this is the vanilla tree
>    % cd linux-2.6
>    % git pull \
>       git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git \
>       topic/via-cleanup
>
> A good thing is that a fair amount of code reduction is done there:
>
> % git diff HEAD..topic/via-cleanup --stat sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c
>  sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c | 5892 +++++++++++----------------------------------
>
> But, the driver isn't tested with real machines, yet.  That is, I need
> testers with real machines.
>
> Could VIA machine owners take a look at these commits and test it if
> possible?  Especially, I'd like to know whether the headphone
> auto-mute works in this form or not.
>
> FWIW, the branch was merged to sound-unstable tree, so you can build
> from alsa-driver-unstable snapshot tarball if you'd like to build
> external modules without the kernel tree and git-merge.
>   ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz
>

> Also, if anyone has alsa-info.sh outputs of VIA codecs, please let me
> know.  It'd be very helpful for debugging, since I can check it via
> hda-emu with alsa-info.sh output.  For now, I have the files of only
> VT1702, VT1708S, VT1718S, VT1828S and VT2020 codecs.  The alsa-info.sh
> outputs of other VIA codecs would be greatly appreciated.

I implemented the dynamic ADC switching, mainly for VT1702 machines
with the digital-mic connection like Gateway or Packard-Bell laptops.

When you have such a machine, i.e. an internal-mic input that doesn't
work as default properly, give it a try.

What I can implement more in a short time frame would be:
 - The automatic input switching for int-/ext-mics on laptop
 - Auto-mute Mode enum like in Realtek codec driver

Also, the rewrite of set_widgets_power_state() would be nice.
We can use the parsed input/output-paths for determining whether each
widget can be turned down or not.

In anyways, any positive / negative feedbacks or tests would be
appreciated.  When no big problem is found, I'm going to merge the new
code in the next week or next-next week.

(And yes, I'm still gathering alsa-info.sh outputs of VIA codecs;
 please contribute them if you have!)

thanks,