[alsa-devel] [ASoc] TDM over one SSC channel on AT91 possible?

Jason Fox jfox at gai-tronics.com
Tue Jun 21 19:15:12 CEST 2011

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some help where I need an AD193X codec to be shared
between 8 audio streams using one SSC channel on an AT91SAM9263, in
other words, I need it to look like 8 different soundcards.  We have the
8 TDM channels working in the driver but I can't figure out how to
create the proper interface of 8 soundcards for ALSA.  In an earlier
email in this topic was posted:

> I would instantiate one driver with 3 pcms. This would allow:-
>
> pcm0: 2 channel, slot 0,1
> pcm1: 2 channel, slot 2,3
> pcm2: 4 channel, slot 0,1,2,3
>
> Giving full flexibility for many use cases. The pcms would be mutually
> exclusive (enforced by machine driver).
>
> HTH
>
> Liam

I think that maybe that I want to instantiate one driver with 8 pcms.  Where/how do I
instantiate the PCMs?  I guess it in in the machine driver?

This is our first attempt at developing a Linux based system so please forgive my
newbie question.  I am sure this is really simple but I'm not following somewhere.

Thanks for your help,
Jason Fox
GAI-Tronics