[alsa-devel] Major reworks on patch_via.c (TESTERS WANTED)

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Jun 21 12:01:16 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-20 17:06, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as there have many problems reported for VIA codecs, I started looking
> at the driver code, and decided to rework on it.

Excellent initiative, thanks!

> The current development is found in sound git tree topic/via-cleanup
> branch:
>     git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git
>
> You can pull into the latest Linus tree from topic/via-cleanup
> branch:
>     # this is the vanilla tree
>     % cd linux-2.6
>     % git pull \
>        git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git \
>        topic/via-cleanup

The tree as of today, is now also available for easy testing for Ubuntu
users: Just download and install
http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/temp/alsa-hda-dkms-viacleanup_0.1_all.deb
(works at least on Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04), reboot and test.

> But, the driver isn't tested with real machines, yet.  That is, I need
> testers with real machines.
>
> Could VIA machine owners take a look at these commits and test it if
> possible?  Especially, I'd like to know whether the headphone
> auto-mute works in this form or not.

I have tested the new driver code on a machine here, and automute does
work. There is however no enable/disable automute yet, as Realtek has.
There are no input jack devices either (i e those we're debating in the
other thread).

On the input side I notice a minor thing: "Front Mic Playback Volume"
has an unneccessary index on it. Well, the Front mic is actually an
internal mic, but that's BIOS lying to us, I guess.

Otherwise it seems to work fine here, so well done! :-)

> Also, if anyone has alsa-info.sh outputs of VIA codecs, please let me
> know.  It'd be very helpful for debugging, since I can check it via
> hda-emu with alsa-info.sh output.  For now, I have the files of only
> VT1702, VT1708S, VT1718S, VT1828S and VT2020 codecs.  The alsa-info.sh
> outputs of other VIA codecs would be greatly appreciated.

Alsa-info for the machine I have here will follow shortly.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic