[alsa-devel] Major reworks on patch_via.c (TESTERS WANTED)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jun 20 17:06:51 CEST 2011

Hi,

as there have many problems reported for VIA codecs, I started looking
at the driver code, and decided to rework on it.

The current development is found in sound git tree topic/via-cleanup
branch:
   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git

You can pull into the latest Linus tree from topic/via-cleanup
branch:
   # this is the vanilla tree
   % cd linux-2.6
   % git pull \
      git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git \
      topic/via-cleanup

A good thing is that a fair amount of code reduction is done there:

% git diff HEAD..topic/via-cleanup --stat sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c
 sound/pci/hda/patch_via.c | 5892 +++++++++++----------------------------------

But, the driver isn't tested with real machines, yet.  That is, I need
testers with real machines.

Could VIA machine owners take a look at these commits and test it if
possible?  Especially, I'd like to know whether the headphone
auto-mute works in this form or not.

FWIW, the branch was merged to sound-unstable tree, so you can build
from alsa-driver-unstable snapshot tarball if you'd like to build
external modules without the kernel tree and git-merge.
  ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz

Also, if anyone has alsa-info.sh outputs of VIA codecs, please let me
know.  It'd be very helpful for debugging, since I can check it via
hda-emu with alsa-info.sh output.  For now, I have the files of only
VT1702, VT1708S, VT1718S, VT1828S and VT2020 codecs.  The alsa-info.sh
outputs of other VIA codecs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,