[alsa-devel] Headphone output doesn't work with 3.0.0-rc* anymore

Michal Hocko mhocko at suse.cz
Fri Jun 10 09:56:40 CEST 2011

On Fri 10-06-11 08:53:01, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:14:01 +0200,
> Michal Hocko wrote:
> >
> > On Thu 09-06-11 11:44:41, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > At Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:28:26 +0200,
[...]
> > > BTW, does my patch fix the problem when you load without model=auto?
> >
> > I have just booted to the rc2 with the patch (https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/6/9/25)
> > and it looks it didn't solve the problem. Playback works only from
> > speakers when headphones are not plugged in - no sound if plugged in.
>
> So, the auto-mute now works but now the headphone doesn't work.
> Weird...  Maybe the same reason the speaker doesn't work with
> auto-mode.  I saw that the only one converter keeps the stream in your
> alsa-info.sh output although multiple converters (0x02, 0x03, 0x06)
> should be used simultaneously.
>
> > See alsa-info.txt-fresh-boot. Same thing happens if I
> > modprobe -r snd-hda-intel and then load it again (without any parameters).
> >
> > > If yes, does the problem appear with it?  I.e. is the silence problem
> > > specific to model=auto or not?
> >
> > If I try to modproble with model=auto I get headphones working but not
> > output from speakers. Have a look at alsa-info.txt-modprobe_auto.
>
> For testing, just copy 2.6.39/sound/pci/*.[ch] into 3.0 tree and
> rebuild.

OK, I git checkout v2.6.39 -- sound/pci/*.[ch] (see the patch bellow for
reference). I have kept the earlier patch.

> Does it work as expected?

No. There is no sound at all with or without headphones plugged in. See
attached alsa-info output (alsa-info.txt-fresh_boot_*) while mplayer was
running.
After I unloaded the module and loaded it back with model=auto
headphones started working while speakers are still silent as grave (see
alsa-info.txt-modprobe_auto_* taken while playing music).

> If you have a good-working reference, please take alsa-info.sh output
> while playing back a stream.
>
> Note that the one-minute thing happens only when you unplug AC cable,
> supposedly.

Hmmm, I was plugged during testing all the time. OK, this looks like a
separate issue. I will repost it as a separate thread once we are done
with this. Any idea who to CC?

> Or, simply write some value (in seconds) to
> /sys/modules/snd_hda_intel/parameters/powersave and access the device
> once (either mixer or PCM) to activate the power-saving mode.

---