[alsa-devel] Subject= @Daniel Mack: Send you a FTU

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Tue Jun 14 11:39:40 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:17:05AM +0100, Aurélien Leblond wrote:

Hi!

> >Quite frankly, I'm not fully aware about known issues with these
> >devices that need attention. Could you summarize which problems are
> >left to look at?
>
> There are still the issue of samples dropping.
>
> Tto reproduce it:
> - Open Audacity and set it up to be using Jack.
> - Click Generate -> Tone -> Ok.
>
> "Normally" you should hear very regular pops...

JFTR: In the past, audacity wasn't exactly the most reliable piece of
audio software available. It was actually known to be broken in
different ways every time a new version was available.

I've seen so many bug reports against audacity (as a member of the
Debian Multimedia Package Maintainers) and spent some hours hacking
patches that I arrived at the conclusion that audacity is best for
visualizing waveforms. I guess it was never intended to actually output
them. ;)

Long story short: just because audacity behaves abnormally doesn't mean
the card itself is broken.

Or more frankly: audacity isn't reliable enough to be used as a test
tool. Use plain jackd and maybe ardour to record a track via digital
loopback. Maybe even remove jackd from the test setup.

I wonder if you're just seeing ordinary xruns caused by wrong jackd
settings.

Cheers

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver