[alsa-devel] Headphone output doesn't work with 3.0.0-rc* anymore

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jun 10 10:14:13 CEST 2011

At Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:56:40 +0200,
Michal Hocko wrote:

> On Fri 10-06-11 08:53:01, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:14:01 +0200,
> > Michal Hocko wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I have just booted to the rc2 with the patch (https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/6/9/25)
> > > and it looks it didn't solve the problem. Playback works only from
> > > speakers when headphones are not plugged in - no sound if plugged in.
> >
> > So, the auto-mute now works but now the headphone doesn't work.
> > Weird...  Maybe the same reason the speaker doesn't work with
> > auto-mode.  I saw that the only one converter keeps the stream in your
> > alsa-info.sh output although multiple converters (0x02, 0x03, 0x06)
> > should be used simultaneously.
> >
> > > See alsa-info.txt-fresh-boot. Same thing happens if I
> > > modprobe -r snd-hda-intel and then load it again (without any parameters).

> > > If I try to modproble with model=auto I get headphones working but not
> > > output from speakers. Have a look at alsa-info.txt-modprobe_auto.
> >
> > For testing, just copy 2.6.39/sound/pci/*.[ch] into 3.0 tree and
> > rebuild.
>
> OK, I git checkout v2.6.39 -- sound/pci/*.[ch] (see the patch bellow for
> reference). I have kept the earlier patch.

Gah, sorry, a wrong path.  It must be sound/pci/hda/*.[ch].
Also, please remove my previous patch.  It's irrelevant with 2.6.39
although it should be harmless.

Regarding the missing speaker-output on model=auto: I found the
culprit.  The current auto-parser for ALC262 doesn't probe the
secondary DAC.  So, it's a logical bug.
I'm going to fix this for 3.1.  From now on, let's keep tracking only
the issue without model option.

thanks,