[alsa-devel] Something broke in snd_soc_pcm_stream

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Jun 8 11:05:52 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 05:20:25PM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:

> It just so happens that on the the P1022, the CPU does support both directions
> in its DAI, but the codec (WM8776) supports only one direction per DAI.  So I
> suspect that you shouldn't be testing codec_dai either, because it assumes that
> the codec is the only arbiter on which direction a given dai-group supports.

Or it just means that unidirectional CPU DAIs are so rare that nobody
got round to adding the check for them.

> Anyway, I changed my driver to test for the actual pointer, and it works.  You
> might want to consider doing the same in soc_pcm_new().

I know we've been round this loop quite a few times in the past but just
to reiterate the situation with Linux is rather different to with other
OSs - you can submit patches to *any* code in Linux, you're not restricted
to only working on your individual driver.