[alsa-devel] MIDI issue with RME HDSPM MADI

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun Jun 5 14:34:13 CEST 2011

On 06/03/2011 06:08 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:27:32 +0200,
> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>>
>> Hi *!
>>

>> The HDSPM MADI driver seems to have an issue with its MIDI
>> implementation. It is rock-solid for audio under Jack at 64
>> frames/period, but as soon as I start using the MIDI over MADI interface
>> (to remote-control my Micstasy preamps), I'm getting xruns every ten
>> seconds or so.
>
> Maybe we can just replace the midi stuff into workqueue.
> Below is a very quick and untested patch.  Does it work?

patch applies and works, no crashes here.
but no change in xrun behaviour either.

for the record, i'm running the kernel with threadirqs.

i guess by using a workqueue, we have eliminated the possibility that
anything in the midi bottom half of the driver is hogging the hardware
resources to cause an xrun, right?

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister (VDT)

http://stackingdwarves.net