[alsa-devel] Need general idea how to architect driver for multi-codec board

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Fri Jun 3 10:48:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 03:17:10PM -0700, Caleb Crome wrote:

>   Sorry to keep on this, but I'm really wedged.  I can't tell if I'm trying
> to break new ground, or if I just don't know what I'm doing :-)  Or both
> perhaps.

Like I said in my last mail you're probably trying to break new ground
here.  You're trying to bind all the CODECs together and treat them as
one digital interface, currently the code does a series of point to
point links multiplexed on a bus only.

> I've got my multi-codec card instantiating (only 4 codecs here for
> simplicity -- there are really 8 total)

> # insmod tlv320aic3x_se.ko   # <--- my custom version of aic3x driver.

That's not a good sign...  If you've modified the driver you probably
want to look into submitting your modifications back upstream.