[alsa-devel] Problem trying to add ASoC ADAV801 support to my kernel

Wayne Tams wayne.tams at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:18:12 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen <lars at metafoo.de> wrote:

> On 07/26/2011 03:31 PM, Wayne Tams wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to add support for the ADAV801 codec to my 2.6.35.3 kernel. I
> > came across this patch
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/86474 obviously
> > I had to make some modifications so it would correctly patch my source.
> > However when I come to build the kernel I'm getting a whole host of
> errors
> > and I am little unsure on how to proceed, could anyone maybe provide some
> > guidance on the possible causes of my errors or maybe there is a more
> update
> > driver available.
> >
> > Many thanks

> Your kernel version is rather old and was before the big Multi-Component
> patch,
> which change the ASoC API quite a bit.
> There is an old patch[1] adding ADAV801 support which still uses the pre
> Multi-Component API you could use. Other options are to update your kernel
> to a
> more recent version or backport the Multi-Component patch.
>
> - Lars
>
> [1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg36465.html
>
> I think that is it, Though the patch caused the kernel to cross compile
with error

sound/soc/codecs/adav80x.c:431:7: error: 'struct snd_soc_codec' has no
member named 'private_data'

it looks as though in sound/soc.h private_data is referenced as drvdata so I
have modified the patch and the kernel has now compiled successfully. I'll
have to make some modifications to the kconfig as the driver will only build
when SND_SOC_ALL_CODECS=y. It'll be a little while before I can test the
codec on actual hardware but if I have anymore trouble I'll drop you a mail.

Thanks.