[alsa-devel] model needed for Clevo P150HM (Realtek ALC892)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jul 18 14:16:51 CEST 2011

At Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:42:50 +0200,
Julian Sikorski wrote:

> W dniu 18.07.2011 13:19, Takashi Iwai pisze:
> > At Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:15:14 +0200,
> > Julian Sikorski wrote:

> >> I'm sorry for the confusion - let me sum up the current situation. With
> >> the fixes you pushed to sound-2.6/master I was able to get 5.1 sound out
> >> of my laptop. The only missing bit was the 7.1 sound. And the last
> >> channel goes via a jack/optical spdif hybrid. The problem is that the
> >> BIOS does not announce that and as such alsa is unaware of the side
> >> surround channel.
> >> Using Raymond's advice, I was able to make the sound come out of the
> >> last jack, by changing some values for pin 0x17 (described as sidesurr
> >> in the datasheet), diff is attached. I basically checked what was the
> >> difference in alsa-info.sh output when I was changing number of channels
> >> with alsamixer, and then did the same for pin 0x17.
> >> Since, from what I understood, you wanted me to figure out which pin is
> >> connected to the last jack [1], I thought this information would be
> >> useful to fix BIOS shortcomings.
> >
> > Yes, and note that you can set up the initial pin configurations
> > dynamically via sysfs, too.
>
> I tried, but without much success [2] - I came up with 0x01111xxx, but I
> do not have enough understanding on what to put as the last 3 numbers.

The last three numbers are pretty important, so check the HD-audio
specification.

> Moreover, I keep getting this upon trying to apply the new pin
> configuration:
> # echo 0x17 0x011111f0 > user_pin_configs
> # LANG=C pasuspender echo 1 > reconfig
> echo: write error: Device or resource busy

You should log out, go to linux console, and kill all processes
accessing the sound devices, then do reconfig.

> >> Other problem is that the volume on that jack is controlled by center
> >> and lfe sliders (in alsamixer), which is probably caused by the fact
> >> that alsa is unaware of the 7.1 sound.
> >
> > And this is not what I can't reproduce.
> >
> >> If more information is needed, please let me know what do you need in
> >> addition to alsa-info.sh output.
> >
> > First off, double-check whether the CLFE mixer really changes the pin
> > amp.  At best, take alsa-info.sh output snapshot before and after
> > changing the mixer state, and compare the files (better give both
> > files in the mail).
>
> Here you go. playing.txt is the state when sound comes out of the
> spdif/side pin, and the center-lfe-half-volume.txt is when the volume is
> reduced to 50 % afterwards.

Between playing.txt and cneter-lfe-half-volume.txt, I see no change
regarding the pin 0x17.  The only difference is the DAC volume of NID
0x05.  What am I missing?