[alsa-devel] Drop 2.2/2.4 kernel support in alsa-driver build?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 12 18:12:46 CEST 2011

[This is resent since I haven't seen my original post due to
 alsa-project.org site down.  If you have already read it, please
 disregard.]

Hi,

in upcoming 3.0-kernel era, I believe it's high time to drop the
support of old 2.2/2.4 kernels in alsa-driver external builds.
Recently I changed some PCI drivers to use KBUILD_MODNAME, and this
isn't supported by the old kernels, i.e. it's currently broken for
these kernels.  But I have no more gut to patch alsa-driver/* codes.

Is there any active user of such kernels with the latest alsa-driver?
If not, let's clean up the whole things.
2.2/2.4 kernel users can still use 1.0.24, and we can release 1.0.24.x
series if really needed.

thanks,