[alsa-devel] Allocating buffers for USB transfers (again)

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:13:08 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Oliver Neukum <oliver at neukum.org> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 14:38:51 schrieb Daniel Mack:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Oliver Neukum <oliver at neukum.org> wrote:
>>
>> > PS:  Do you still see this if you enable 64bit DMA for EHCI?
>>
>> The problem is that I personally don't see that issue at all. I even
>> installed 4GB of RAM to my development machine last year to be able to
>> reproduce this, but I can't, even when the memory allocator is under
>> heavy load. The only people who see this effect are Pedro Ribeiro and
>> William Light (both in Cc:), and both have been very helpful in trying
>> patches and reporting back in detail. Which instructions could we
>> probably give to these people to finally hunt this issue down?
>
> Do they have an IOMMU or are they using bounce buffers?
> If the latter, you might be able to reproduce it if you disable your
> IOMMU.

Ok, Pedro and William - can I ask you to dump the following
information to some paste bin:

- your .config
- the dmesg output of a booted kernel that shows the effect
- the output of "sudo lspci -v"

Also, the attached patch might give you at least one warning to your
kernel logs once the audio stream starts and outputs noise. I'm
curious whether it really does.

Thanks,
Daniel