[alsa-devel] UCM list/set/get

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Mon Jan 31 15:07:06 CET 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Liam Girdwood wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 11:22 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:36:47AM -0600, pl bossart wrote:
>>> I've been trying to figure out what exactly needs to be filled in UCM
>>> configuration files, and so far it's been a pretty frustrating
>>> experience with alsa-utils/alsaucm :-(
>>
>> CCing in Liam - please always remember to CC maintainers.
>>
>>> The interactive mode in alsa-utils/alsaucm is broken, I fixed a couple
>>> of segfaults and bad output (patches attached), but so far the only
>>> thing I can do is list the verbs...It looks like
>>> alsa-lib/include/use-case.h and alsa-utils/alsaucm are not aligned,
>>> whenever I query with predefined identifiers alsaucm seg faults or
>>> provides an error message that doesn't help much. This happens with
>>> the latest code.
>

>>> [ume at plb alsaucm]$ ./alsaucm listcards
>>>   0: AudioPC
>>>     this is my AudioPCI card
>>>   1: SDP4430
>>>     this is my SDP4430 card
>>>   2: TestHDA
>>>     A test HDA card
>>> [ume at plb alsaucm]$ ./alsaucm -c AudioPCI list _verbs
>>>   0: HiFi
>>>     Play and record HiFi quality Music.
>>>   1: Voice
>>>     Full duplex low-power voice call
>>>
>>> So far so good. Now the fun begins
>>>
>>> [ume at plb alsaucm]$ ./alsaucm -c AudioPCI list _devices
>>> ./alsaucm: error failed to get list _devices: No such file or directory
>>> [ume at plb alsaucm]$ ./alsaucm -c AudioPCI set _verb HiFi
>>> ALSA lib main.c:1250:(set_verb_user) error: failed to initialize new
>>> use case: HiFi
>>> ./alsaucm: error failed to set _verb=HiFi: No such device
>>> [ume at plb alsaucm]$ ./alsaucm -c AudioPCI get _verb
>>> ./alsaucm: error failed to get _verb: No such file or directory
>>>

> It looks like we need to improve the config file error reporting here.
> Adding line numbers would be good.

It looks like a processing error rather than a parsing error.

>>> Likewise if the .conf file contains a cset in the default values, then
>>> the parser fails (I took the example from src/ucm/parser.c).
>>> Commenting out the cset is the only solution. What exactly is this
>>> index supposed to mean?
>>> SectionDefaults [
>>> cdev "hw:AudioPCI"
>>> cset "name='Master Playback Switch',index=2 1,1"
>>> ]
>
> Jaroslav is probably best placed to answer about the cset syntax.
>
> The "index" is not required :-
>
> cset "name='Master Playback Switch' 1,1"

For complete cset command look to 'amixer cset' syntax. You may get list
of available identifiers using 'amixer controls'.

Anyway, I fixed some issues in alsaucm (interactive mode) and alsa-lib
now.

 					Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>