[alsa-devel] Ubuntu 10.04, VT8233/A/8235/8237: snd-via82xx `dxs_support` needs to be `3` instead of `5`

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 31 10:50:59 CET 2011

Dear Benjamin,

Am Sonntag, den 30.01.2011, 21:48 -0500 schrieb Benjamin Hovey:
> FYI, the below system required the following non-default settings for ALSA
> to play any SPDIF output correctly.  Prior to finding this setting, output
> from different sources, WAV, MP3, CD, etc, were played at a slightly faster
> speed than they should have.
>
> snd_via82xx: dxs_support=3
>
> When installed, the default setting was dxs_support=5.
>

> Hope this helps.  I am new to Linux and it took me quite a while to find out
> how to set this setting (I put it in  /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf)

thank you very much for reporting that issues especially if you are new
to GNU/Linux!

I have some questions and remarks.

Thanks for attaching/pasting the output of `alsa-info.sh`. This means
you informed yourself beforehand what is needed for debugging. Next time
please turn of line wrapping when pasting stuff though. Although I do
not know how to do that with Google Mail.

[…]

> !!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
> !!-----------------------------
>
>  0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
>                       VIA 8237 with VT1616i at 0xe400, irq 22
>  1 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SB Live! Platinum [CT4760P]
>                       SB Live! Platinum [CT4760P] (rev.8, serial:0x80401102) at 0xb000, irq 17

Just for me, is it true you have an extra SB Live card or is that also
from the motherboard? Sorry for my ignorance.

[…]

> !!Modprobe options (Sound related)
> !!--------------------------------
>
> snd_via82xx: index=0
> snd_emu10k1: index=1
> snd_via82xx: dxs_support=4

[…]

> snd_via82xx: index=0
> snd_emu10k1: index=1
> snd_via82xx: dxs_support=3
> snd_via82xx: ac97_clock=48000

These seem to be the options from `alsa-base.conf`. I do not know if it
is provided from upstream ALSA or by the distribution, in this case
Ubuntu.

Did you set the/changed it to `4` there or was it there by default? alsa
it looks like some lines are doubles. Probably from debugging and just
cosmetics though.

Thanks,

Paul