[alsa-devel] alsa virtual sound card (with networked output)

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Tue Jan 11 17:33:58 CET 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Metyl Methylius wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if its possible to just create a "virtual" sound card
> using alsa which will just sent its audio stream to other computer
> (using TCP/IP or UDP for example). On the other end there would be
> some kind of server (or just nc -u -l -p 31337 | aplay ). I want to do
> it on alsa layer because other aps using alsa will get immediate
> support.
>
> It should be something like described in
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Network
>
> but with transparent support for all alsa based applications. I dont
> care about syncronization or transmission delay. Any pointers as how
> this could be done in alsa ?

I plan to add network support to the alsaloop utility (in the current
repository of the alsa-utils package) using the snd-aloop loopback kernel
module on the playback (producer) side. This solution would be 100%
transparent for all current ALSA apps. But I don't have any estimate when
I start the work on this. Any volunteer? I think that it would be best to
use the RTP UDP streaming.

 						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>