[alsa-devel] alsa virtual sound card (with networked output)

Metyl Methylius the.metyl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 15:51:20 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if its possible to just create a "virtual" sound card
using alsa which will just sent its audio stream to other computer
(using TCP/IP or UDP for example). On the other end there would be
some kind of server (or just nc -u -l -p 31337 | aplay ). I want to do
it on alsa layer because other aps using alsa will get immediate

It should be something like described in

but with transparent support for all alsa based applications. I dont
care about syncronization or transmission delay. Any pointers as how
this could be done in alsa ?

This mess was sent using 100% recycled electrons. If you want to get
rid of this mess just turn off your computer,