[alsa-devel] PCM direct access functions for recording

jonas.rabbe at nokia.com jonas.rabbe at nokia.com
Mon Jan 10 06:08:11 CET 2011

Hi,

I am trying to use the PCM direct access  (MMAP) functions for recording sound from an ALSA source, and reading the documentation has brought up a few questions. The documentation page for the mmap function [1] and the PCM test demo [2] both concern themselves with writing to the ring buffer. I was wondering if there was a similar example for reading from the ring buffer.

At this point I have been searching through the alsa-devel archives, alsa-project.org, and anything else google could throw at me, but it seems my google-fu is not as strong as I had thought. Any pointers and links concerning my use case would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonas Rabbe
Software Engineer // Qt Multimedia / Brisbane / Australia

[1] http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___p_c_m___direct.html
[2] http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/_2test_2pcm_8c-example.html