[alsa-devel] hda: again low volume problem :-(

Halim Sahin halim.sahin at freenet.de
Sun Jan 9 20:27:35 CET 2011

hi Folks,

i see the low volume problem is not only related to my hardware but
reported a few times in alsa-user mailinglist.
Please! have a look in to that problem.
Using 100% of the volume sliders in alsamixer is not enough to get
usable sound for the amp.
here my last mail ng the same problemd

On Mo, Aug 23, 2010 at 08:18:46 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> First off, try with the latest version of alsa-driver.
> Get the snapshot version from
>   ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz
Done. Compilation and load of the modules are ok but the volume stays
low on the rear panel of the computer.

> If this doesn't help, try to set EAPD on NID 0x14 and/or 0x15, set it
> to 0x02.  Get hda-verb program (available on OBS home:tiwai repo),
> then run like
> 	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x14 SET_EAPD 0x02
> 	hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x15 SET_EAPD 0x02

also no success with hda-verb.
Do you have more ideas what I can test?

Maybe this aditional info helps you :-).
I noticed a difference in volume between headphone (front connector) and
the line out (rear panel connector).
The volume is higher when using the headphone connector but should also
be improoved a bit :-(.
this info is from alsamixer and the new driver:
Card: HDA NVidia
    Chip: Nvidia ID 7
This info is from the orginal driver of kernel 2.6.34:
  Card: HDA NVidia
    Chip: Nvidia MCP79/7A HDMI

Why does alsamixer show     Chip: Nvidia ID 7 with new driver?

All help appreciated ;-)