[alsa-devel] Support for X-Fi external front panel - how hard would it be to add it?

Veselin Georgiev anrieff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 01:10:35 CET 2011

Hi guys,

I have a Creative X-fi Fatal1ty edition card that goes along with an external
front panel (I/O) module, mounted in the 5.25" bay.
So I see there is no support for the front panel in the ALSA X-fi driver, and
I'm wondering how hard would it be to add it? Is it at all feasible?

I'm hazy on the following stuff:
- Does one need to reverse-engineer how the sound card communicates with the
front panel, or there are datasheets about that available?
- Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, the emu10k1 driver works fine with SB
Live! or Audigy-based front-panels, so why not borrow some code from there and
hack it into the ctxfi?

I'm ready to try out some hacking with this and get my hands dirty with code
if required.

On a related note, there should be some official statement in the wiki saying
that the front panel is not supported, as I did a lot of googling, checking
various ubuntu/fedora forum posts that hinted the lack of support, and I'm
still puzzled... :s

Best Regards,
Veselin Georgiev