[alsa-devel] Channel swapping issue on TI OMAP3/TWL4030

ylin at mail.com ylin at mail.com
Sat Feb 19 17:08:34 CET 2011

> > We tried element and frame mode, playback doesn't sound correct
with
> > these mode, but the capture is OK.
>
> Hrm, this does not sound right... Historically the element mode was
the
> first and only mode of using McBSP. The threshold mode has been added
later.
> Could you explain what do you mean, when you said that the playback
was
> not correct?
> I have never experienced problems with the element mode.

The element mode works fine with playback after I fill more data to the
buffer.  We try to optimize the delay and keep the minimum data in the
buffer.  However, the element mode timing is slightly different from
threshold, and we have under-run condition.  With filling extra data to
the buffer, the element mode works fine.  We are testing if we see the
channel switch with this mode.

> In what mode you are using the TWL4030 codec? Is it master?
> If it is master, can you compare your machine driver with for example
> the Beagle board's machine driver?

It is in master mode.  We are using OMAP3EVM board as reference.  Our
kernel is based on the TI P3P release.
# /proc/ti-psp-version
AM37x/DM37x  Linux PSP version 03.00.01.06 (OMAP3PHX)
We are using the same audio drivers for OMAP3EVM.  There is only some
unrelated patches to the driver, such as ramp delay and Bluetooth PCM
support.

> Or can you share the relevant configuration (from your machine driver)
> with us?

I am not sure exactly the relevant configuration to share.  Here is
the TWL4030 codec registers with both Tx and Rx audio running.  Please
let me know if you like to see other configurations and I can pull them
out.
# cat /sys/devices/platform/soc-audio/codec_reg
twl4030 registers
 0:    0
 1:   a3
 2:   c3
 3:    0
 4:    7
 5:   31
 6:    0
 7:    8
 8:    0
 9:    0
 a:    9
 b:    9
 c:    9
 d:    9
 e:    1
 f:    0
10:    0
11:    0
12:   3f
13:   3f
14:    0
15:    0
16:    0
17:    c
18:    0
19:    0
1a:    0
1b:   2b
1c:   2b
1d:    0
1e:    0
1f:    0
20:    0
21:   10
22:    0
23:    5
24:    4
25:    0
26:    0
27:    0
28:    0
29:    0
2a:   3f
2b:    0
2c:    0
2d:    0
2e:    0
2f:    0
30:    0
31:    0
32:    0
33:    0
34:    0
35:    0
36:    0
37:    0
38:    0
39:    0
3a:   16
3b:    0
3c:    0
3d:    0
3e:    2
3f:    0
40:    0
41:    0
42:    0
43:    0
44:    0
45:    0
46:    0
47:    0
48:   22
49:    0
4a:    2
#

> > and focus on McBSP and DMA.  We don't
> > have chance to check McBSP overflow/underflow as you suggested yet.
>
> If we don't figure out what is the problem, you might need to do
this...

I am working on this.

Thanks,
Ying