[alsa-devel] Channel swapping issue on TI OMAP3/TWL4030

ylin at mail.com ylin at mail.com
Thu Feb 17 04:40:37 CET 2011

> >> I forgot to ask:
> >> what mode you are using the McBSP?
> >> Is it in element, or threshold mode?
> >> You can check/change the McBSP mode in:
> >> /sys/devices/platform/omap-mcbsp.2/dma_op_mode
> >
> > It is in threshold mode, with max threshold 1023.  I will try other
> > modes.
>
> This sounds safe, give the fact that the McBSP2 FIFO is 1280 word
long.
> The McBSP FIFO configuration has been corrected in newer kernels.
>
> One thing that I would try is to synchronize the McBSP2 FIFO
> configuration with the period size you use:
> 48KHz/stereo/16bit 10ms = 480 samples,
> so configure the McBSP2 FIFO to 960 (for both tx, and rx threshold).
> Might not help, but it worth a try...

We tried element and frame mode, playback doesn't sound correct with
these mode, but the capture is OK.  We will stick with threshold mode,
and try the new threshold.

> > tell if
> >>
> >> I see. Is there a way for you to run your application to capture
only,
> >> and from a separate app (aplay?) play a sample, which has audio
only
> > on
> >> one channel?
> >
> > I can fill zero to one of the play channel in our app to test it.
>
> Great.
> Let's see, if the swap also happens in the playback path as well.

None of our test shows the playback problem.  I think the playback path
is fine, but will keep testing.

Also, we have verified the audio data from I2S interface looks fine
using a scope even when the channels are switched.  We can eliminate
twl4030 codec from the problem, and focus on McBSP and DMA.  We don't
have chance to check McBSP overflow/underflow as you suggested yet.

Thanks,
Ying