[alsa-devel] WL1273 FM Radio driver...

Matti J. Aaltonen matti.j.aaltonen at nokia.com
Wed Feb 9 09:47:58 CET 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 14:00 -0200, ext Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 07-02-2011 12:17, Matti J. Aaltonen escreveu:

> >> Nothing's been merged yet to my knowledge, Matti can comment on any
> >> incoming boards which will use it (rx51?).
> >
> > Yes, nothing's been merged yet. There are only dependencies between the
> > parts of this driver... I cannot comment on upcoming boards, I just hope
> > we could agree on a sensible structure for this thing.
>
> We don't need any brand names or specific details, but it would be good to
> have an overview, in general lines, about the architecture, in order to help
> you to map how this would fit. In particular, the architecturre of
> things that are tightly coupled and can't be splitted by some bus abstraction.

I understand what you are saying but obviously I cannot think like a
sub-system maintainer:-) What I see here is a piece of hardware with
lots of capabilities: FM RX and TX with analog and digital audio, I2C
and UART control...

I would have thought that the goal is to make a driver that's as
"general" as possible and to make it possible to use the chip in all
kinds of architectures and scenarios.

But we have been using the driver in principle in its current form. But
if the interface to the users has to be split in a different way, I
don't see that as a major problem. But on the other hand I can't see the
ASoC / V4L2 division going away completely. The users won't probably
care if we have MFD or not.

Cheers,
Matti