[alsa-devel] ANNOUNCE: NVIDIA HDMI audio documentation

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Sat Feb 5 21:05:15 CET 2011

On 04.02.2011 00:37, Stephen Warren wrote:
> I have written a document re: how to understand and trouble-shoot issues
> with audio-over-HDMI on NVIDIA GPUs. It's available at:
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html
>
> The intent is to provide all the support information I've given various
> people on support forums in a centralized place.
>
> Hope this helps!

A nice document, thanks :)

A couple of comments:

> Early chipsets (ION an earlier) do not support PD or ELD information. In
> this case, the ALSA driver assumes that a monitor is always attached,
> and supports "basic audio” (stereo 16-bit PCM only).

The ALSA driver actually assumes that the monitor supports everything.

> 10.3. Under-Enumeration of Logical Devices

This section misses one patch:
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commitdiff;h=e6d5dcf1f625984605d362338d71162de45a6c60

> 12.4. Verify Your ELD Is Valid

This section has "44100 48000 88200" multiple times. Maybe one should
mention that those are currently shown incorrectly (as per "[alsa-devel]
HDA - hdmi_show_short_audio_desc puts wrong rates in eld#N"). Maybe also
in chapter 10, though it is a very minor issue (it just affects the
display, not the actual used values).

--
Anssi Hannula