[alsa-devel] No soundcards found with 2.6.37 (and 2.6.38-rc2)

Sven Neumann s.neumann at raumfeld.com
Tue Feb 1 11:05:42 CET 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 14:57 +0530, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 14:42:58, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are using an ARM PXA300 based device with SoC devices. The code is
> > completely upstream, our platform is defined in sound/soc/pxa/raumfeld.c
> >
> > I've recently tried to update our kernel to 2.6.37, but it looks like
> > there have been some changes in the Linux kernel that cause our sound
> > hardware not to be recognized or initialised correctly any longer.
> >

> I also faced similar problem on the platform I had and I submitted couple of
> patches to overcome this. Please see:
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/495211/
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/495751/
>
> Also, you can refer to https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/485331/ for the
> discussion which happened before posting the patch to the list.

Thanks for the quick answer. I had a look at these patches, but I don't
think that the solution to my problem is that similar. As far as I can
see the sound hardware is registered correctly in our platform code.
I've added some printk() statements to verify that this code in
raumfeld.c is indeed run at bootup:

	raumfeld_audio_device = platform_device_alloc("soc-audio", 0);
	platform_set_drvdata(raumfeld_audio_device,
                             &snd_soc_raumfeld);
	platform_device_add(raumfeld_audio_device);

Or is this not any longer correct?

Sven