[alsa-devel] Nvidia HDMI and four codecs

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Feb 1 09:10:19 CET 2011

I've seen a few Nvidia HDMI's recently which have four HDMI codecs
connected to the same HDA controller. The problem is that we don't know
which one(s) of these four that is the real one. So people will have to
try devices "hdmi:Nvidia,0", "hdmi:Nvidia,1", "hdmi:Nvidia,2" and
"hdmi:Nvidia,3" to figure out which one is the right one. (And by
empirical testing we know that it isn't always the first one.)

Thinking PulseAudio and/or "Just Works", this is not good enough, so is
there a way to know beforehand which one of these four that is actually
physically connected?

I'd love BIOS to provide a good codec probe mask, a pin config default,
or something similar, but given a codec-proc I can't see any difference
between the real ones and the unconnected ones, so I don't know how to
fix up the driver without hardcoding/quirking every one of them. Any hints?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic