[alsa-devel] Codecs without auto-parser (was: ALSA: HDA: Fix microphone(s) on Lenovo Edge 13)

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Feb 1 08:37:25 CET 2011

On 2011-01-28 13:10, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:51:30 +0100,
> David Henningsson wrote:
>>
>> On 2011-01-28 09:01, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>> And I hope that we should go further a bit for now -- more clean up of
>>> the cxt5066 code either checking BIOS pins or hp/mic/spk pre-defined
>>> pins.  Currently, the code is fairly messy (partly because of olpc
>>> support), and now is a good chance to improve it a bit more.
>>
>> Maybe so. I'm not sure I can commit to doing that work right now, as I
>> have other work commitments waiting for me to take care of them.
>
> OK.

Hmm. I got a few things cleared up yesterday, and so I might have some
time to actually do this. However, it also seems like I have to fix an
AD1984A machine, and that driver is in equally bad shape (as in: no
auto-parser, just a list of models). I could add another model, but
suppose I'd do this the right way, how would I do it?

I guess there are three options to start off with:

1) ad1988 seems to have an auto-parser. There are a lot of hardcoded
nids in there, but I guess I could copy-and-paste some into a new
auto-parser for ad1984a.

2) It seems to me like the most competent candidate for auto-parser
currently is the cx_auto stuff - compared to other auto-parsers the
hardcoded nids are fewer. Perhaps this one could be extended to also do
auto-parsing for codecs from other vendors? Or at least some convenience
functions moved to hda_codec.c in order to remove duplication between
vendors?

3) There is also the generic parser. It seems to be the one most capable
of handling randomly complex graphs, but is lacking automute/jack-detect
support, and maybe other functions as well (?).

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic