[alsa-devel] It looks like snd-soc-rx51 only works as built-in, not as a module

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Sat Dec 31 01:59:38 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:00:55PM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> >> Yes, but udev loads snd_soc_tlv320aic3x, not snd-soc-rx51.

> > That is compltelely orthogonal to what you were saying above about the
> > ordering of module loading.

> Not really, because if both are compiled as modules,
> snd_soc_tlv320aic3x will always be loaded first (automatically by
> udev).

Which is relevant because...?  To repeat, the ordering of module loading
is totally ortogonal as any ordering of modules is supported.  You
appear to be totally ignoring what I am writing here.

> > The reason the driver is not loaded automatically is that the OMAP
> > machine drivers have not been converted to platform devices.

> Well, if that's the case then there's a real issue. There doesn't seem
> to be a MODULE_DEPENDS(), or anything like that.

A MODULE_DEPENDS() would also be irrelevant here.

> snd-soc-rx51 seems to depend on snd_soc_tlv320aic3x through
> codec_dai_name, and codec_name, and so on. I don't know how this
> dependency is supposed to work out.

All the drivers should load via the normal driver instantiation
mechainsms and when they're all there they'll get matched together.