[alsa-devel] pcm timer resolution out of range (rate = 0, period_size = 1), Division by zero in kernel

Appalayagari Sreedhar sreecha01 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:28:23 CET 2011

Hi,

We are working with 2.6.32 kernel. we are working with ALSA model
codec driver for conexant chipset. we are using OSS emulation for
audio playback and recording.

we are not setting the fragmenttaion block using OSS ioctl function
(SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT) , assuming that it will be taken care by the
ALSA framework based on the sampling rate, bits per sample etc.

we are facing the below issue randomly.

ALSA sound/core/pcm_timer.c:71: -calling VIDIOC_pcm timer resolution
out of range (rate = 0, period_size = 1)
Division by zero in kernel.

We tried to program the fragmentation block after the sampling rate,
bits per sample etc are configured. it is working fine for 5 or 6
iterations for recording and playback.

after that the audio quality is gone bad. the audio is not smooth and
it is sharp.

could you please help to resolve this problem.

Thank you,
Sreedhar.