[alsa-devel] how to enumerate useful ALSA devices?

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Dec 21 15:37:55 CET 2011

Hi,

The 2008 audio guide recommends
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/guide-to-sound-apis.html
"Do not use the snd_card_xxx() APIs. For enumerating use
 snd_device_name_hint() (and related functions).
 snd_card_xxx() is obsolete... Bluetooth audio are not included"

Is that correct advice?

Wine still uses snd_card, so it knows only about "default" and
"plughw:x,y".  I believe that's wrong but don't know what should be
used instead in order not to come up with a long list of artificial
names mentioned in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf such as surround51 when
the poor on-board card knows nothing but 16 bit stereo.

I'm looking for a list of working devices on this machine, which likely
should contain "default" (usually leading to PA on a recent Ubuntu machine),
"plug:dmix" (PA getting out of the way when trying to use other devices),
"hw:0,0" and presumably not much more.

Thank you for your help,
	Jörg Höhle