[alsa-devel] Realtek ALC889: HDA Intel and kernel 3.1 gives choppy sound (again)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Dec 14 09:37:57 CET 2011

At Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:33:04 +0100,
Colomban Wendling wrote:

> Le 07/11/2011 23:45, Colomban Wendling a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Back to 3.0, the sound on my soundcard [1] started to be choppy, I
> > reported it [2] and it got fixed (thanks to Takashi Iwai!).
> >
> > However, the story repeated with 3.1 (and probably 3.0.8 or before [3]):
> > I've got similar choppy sound again.
> >
> > I bisected the few commits that happened on
> > sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c, and finally found the villain:
> >
> > "8974bd51 ALSA: hda/realtek - Fix auto-mute with HP+LO configuration"
> >
> > Reverting it from v3.1 fixes the problem.
> >
> > master (94956ee) also suffers of the problem, but I couldn't test
> > without that commit because reverting it fails, too much changes happened.
>
> This bug is still there in 3.2rc5 (dc47ce9).

It seems that your post with alsa-info was filtered out.
Could you resend alsa-info outputs of both working and non-working
states?  Attach the compressed files if the size can be too big.

Since the commit you spotted is about the codec, not controller, thus
the difference must be seen in alsa-info outputs.  I still don't
understand why that commit affects the output quality.  We need more
details.
(Cc'ed David since he is the author of the commit.)

thanks,