[alsa-devel] CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Dec 2 09:57:35 CET 2011

Cyrus Vafadari wrote:
> How can I check if CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS is enabled,

Look into the .config file in your kernel source tree.

> I've been having a lot of trouble assigning 10 USB soundcards, and it's
> been doing fishy things when I change who's plugged in to which usb hub.

It's not easy to distinguish devices that do not have a serial number.

> ALSA recognizes all the cards,

This implies CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS is enabled.

> but some of the hw:x,y plays through the default hw:0,0.

You mean, to the wrong device?

How did you test this?

Check that the minor numbers in /proc/asound/devices match the actual
minor numbers in /dev/snd/.

Regards,
Clemens