[alsa-devel] Alsa timing question

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Aug 30 09:49:56 CEST 2011

Raymond Toy wrote:
>> However, if you're using the dmix plugin, the period size of your
>> application's device will not necessarily be identical with the period
>> size of the hardware device.
>
> Would dmix allow me to control this better than pulse audio?

These parameters must be chosen by dmix before the first dmix device is
used, so applications cannot control them directly.

The defaults for dmix's period_size, period_time, and periods are 1024,
-1, and 16.  They can be overridden by setting the configuration values
defaults.dmix.DRIVER.period_size/period_time/periods, where DRIVER is
the internal driver name (the name between the colon and the hyphen in
/proc/asound/cards, or the file name in /usr/share/alsa/cards/).

Regards,
Clemens