[alsa-devel] Status of Zoom R16

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 09:21:39 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Evan Ta <evan.ta.88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as subj says: can you tell me how the Zoom R16 is doing? The hardware looks
> nice, but the latest info I can find is a seemingly unresolved failure to
> work with Alsa as of feb 2010.

Yes, it's currently unsupported. The device doesn't comply to the USB
audio spec, and nobody with such hardware has yet taken the time to
implement a driver.

You can try contact their support and ask whether they are willing to
release the protocol spec under a free licence, that could speed up
the process. Otherwise, someone will need to trace the communication
and reverse-engineer it.

Daniel