[alsa-devel] Can ALSA invoke a Callback ?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Aug 26 17:54:54 CEST 2011

Ru Vuott wrote:
> I'm using Alsa "Seq" functions.
>
> My midi-program - obviously - does not know exactly when the extern midi event 'll arrive....
> Has it to read uninterruptedly his port, waiting for the events.... ?

This is done only in single-purpose command-line programs like arecordmidi.
When you have other events, you collect the file descriptors of all your
devices/pipes/whatever, and wait for all of them in a poll()-based loop.

How does your program handle events?  Or are you using a GUI framework?

Regards,
Clemens