[alsa-devel] How to add a new MIDI device to the usbaudio driver

Kristian Amlie kristian at amlie.name
Wed Aug 24 15:19:06 CEST 2011

On 08/24/11 13:44, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Kristian Amlie wrote:
>> I tried 38400 baud, and that seemed to work. I got a small number
>> of bytes everytime I pressed a key on the instrument.
>>
>> 18 f9 ff 18 03 f8
>> 18 f9 ff 18 01 f8
>> 18 f9 ff 18 01 f8
>> 18 fb ff 18 01 f8
>> 18 fb ff 18 01 f8
>> 18 fb ff 18 03 f8
>> 18 f9 ff 18 01 f8
>> 18 fb ff 18 01 f8
>> 18 fb ff 18 01 f8
>> 18 fb ff 18 01 f8
>
> This is not MIDI.  However, these value might by explained by
> a 31250-baud signal sampled at 38400 baud.

Indeed. I have tried different baud rates and that produces different
values. I'm starting to suspect that the "cu" tool itself does not
support certain baud rates, even if the ftdi_sio driver does.

>> Daniel Mack wrote:
>>> I think that requires a special divider setup that is not
>>> supported by the ftdi_sio driver.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Kristian, what do the .inf files that come with the Windows driver say?

I have attached the three files that come with the installation. I'm not
sure what to look for myself, I'm afraid.

At least FTDI is mentioned all over the place so we must be on the right
track.

--
Kristian