[alsa-devel] How to add a new MIDI device to the usbaudio driver

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 23 12:02:04 CEST 2011

Am Dienstag, den 23.08.2011, 11:42 +0200 schrieb Kristian Amlie:
> On 08/23/11 11:22, Daniel Mack wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Paul Menzel wrote:

[…]

> >> … and ask the manufacturer about GNU/Linux support.
> >>
> >> Something like, you bought the hardware and expect it to work
> >> everywhere. Additionally they make money by selling the hardware and not
> >> developing a driver, so they should publish the documentation and even
> >> pay someone – like Daniel or Clemens ? – to write the support for their
> >> hardware. (Only when they say they do not have any money or something
> >> like that, you can also tell them to donate/provide free hardware for
> >> the developer and a contact address to their M$ Windows developer for
> >> questions.)
> >
> > While I agree in general to your points, I think its not worth the
> > effort in this particular case. It's probably very easy to add support
> > for this by just sending one magic usb_control_msg up-front, and it's
> > not complicated to sniff that value. From a customer standpoint,
> > again, I'm sure the manufacturer will just state that they didn't
> > promise any Linux support, and so you can't claim it.
>
> Their homepage states "We are currently in the final phase of
> development in making all of our instruments class compliant.", which I
> take to mean that they want their future products to use a standard MIDI
> interface. Right now, Windows 7 and Vista 64 users are also left in the
> dark, so I think they are as eager to fix this as we are, they just
> decided to do it on the hardware side instead of the software side.

Still sending a message to them, would be good in my opinion.

1. It shows them, that people are using their devices on GNU/Linux and
that their decision to make it class compliant is a good move.
2. If they want to change that, maybe they are even releasing the
necessary documentation so you can save your time installing Windows.

Thanks,

Paul