[alsa-devel] USB Audio questions

Torsten Schenk torsten.schenk at zoho.com
Wed Aug 17 00:13:14 CEST 2011

 > Thanks for sharing your experience.
 >
 > > - The device/driver sends per urb a constant number of packets (as you
 > > already also discovered). The number of samples per packet differ
 > > however (+- 1 sample per packet). I accuse the asynchronousity between
 > > the urb interval and the sound card's internal clock for this fact. The
 > > device expects the driver to send back an urb with exactly the same
 > > structure. The device produced crackling noise if the samples per
 > > packet were not equal. I cannot say to what extend this is true (i.e.
 > > if you could wait some packets until catching up the difference without
 > > producing crackles) but due to this fact it's at least not a simple
 > > task to send urbs exactly corresponding to the period limit.
 >
 > I am still unclear on what makes the number of samples per packet vary, I
 > didn't see this in the code. I understand that it could vary for 44.1 but
 > for 48kHz (my case) I'd think it should be constant.

The variation is not directly in the code. I remember that the caiaq driver enlightened me since this behaviour is commented there. The variation comes from the device and these steps lead to this variation:
1. the driver sends n urbs containing m packets with size 0 (i.e. no audio) to the device
2. the device sends back each of the n urbs one-by-one, filled with the captured audio; the urbs will contain m packets, each packet having an individual number of samples s_p ("sample" being defined here as: 1 sample contains one value for each channel)
3. for each urb returned from the device, the driver sends another urb containing again m packets, but this time with s_p samples per packet (corresponding to the packet-dependent s_p received from the device)

I indeed found out that when using 48kHz, I first thought that the number of samples per packet were identical every time. When using this heuristic, crackling noise occured in the sound output and I looked at the number of samples per packet. They varied not very often but sometimes - around once per 2 seconds.

My explanation for this problem is, that the sound card has its own clock, that will not oscillate at exactly an integer multiple as the computer's/usb's internal clock. Even temperature will change the frequency a little bit, meaning that 48kHz is not always exactly 48kHz. I would have to start speculating about which clock drives the usb urb scheduling, so this question should be left for the more experienced USB programmers.

 > > - Another thing came into my mind while reading your post, but I'm not
 > > sure if that would apply in praxis: If sending an urb is scheduled with
 > > the alsa buffer, it might be possible that the buffer is overwritten
 > > before the urb is sent, leading to complete audio-rubbish.
 >
 > Indeed there could be some issues with pulseaudio rewinds, but the fact is
 > that rewinds are broken anyway when the data is copied...
I gave this another thought and came to the conclusion: if you'd call snd_pcm_period_elapsed in the output urb retire callback, the theoretical problem wouldn't occur.

Torsten