[alsa-devel] snd soc spi read/write

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Aug 10 18:02:33 CEST 2011

At Thu, 11 Aug 2011 00:34:58 +0900,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 05:15:21PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > > The idea is that the CODEC drivers will end up using regmap directly
> > > once it gets cache support migrated over to it.  There's nothing ALSA
> > > specific about the cache support.  Though right just not bothering to
> > > cache this device (it has readback support after all) is probably good
> > > enough.
>
> > OK, I like the idea, but it sounds a bit like a long way to go.
> > I guess the cache-in-regmap won't be merged in 3.1 cycle?
>
> Well, regmap is only in 3.2.

Oh, it's merged in 3.1 :)  Just unused by no one, yeah.

> > Basically I don't care too much about this, but the fact we leave this
> > being broken over two release cycles doesn't appear nice, especially
> > when there is a quick-n-easy fix...
>
> I don't see a problem with the idea of just making the registers
> volatile.  There's no real need to cache the registers on a small SPI
> device with readback support, the caches mainly benefit I2C (which is
> much slower) and devices with no readback support with some other
> benefits for larger devices.

Hey, I'm not against it at all.  What I do care is to see a fix
soonish.

It'd be a quick fix that shall be removed in near future by regmap
after all, so we don't need to waste time by discussing too much about
it.

So, go ahead as you like, and let's fix it quickly in a minimal way.

thanks,