[alsa-devel] HDMI LPCM (7.1) with AMD/FGLRX

Andrée 'Glaucous' glakke1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 21:17:46 CEST 2011

Hello.

I'm wondering if there's any ongoing development on multichannel sound
support for HDMI - LPCM/5.1/7.1, not bitstreamed audio such as DTS/AC3
(which works).
I've tried both a AMD HD 4870 and AMD HD 6870, on both 2 channel and
bitstreamed audio works with ALSA, but not LPCM. LPCM works perfectly (5.1,
7.1) on Windows.

According to the mailing list there seem to have been some activity in this
area (January or so), but no success. I'd gladly try out patches.

My setup is:
Arch Linux 64 bit
fglrx 11.7
alsa 1.0.24
HD 6870 -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-1909 (Receiver) -> HDTV

--
aplay -L

hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
--
speaker-test -D hw:2,3 -c 6

speaker-test 1.0.24.2

Playback device is hw:2,3
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Channels count (6) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
--
speaker-test -D hw:2,3 -c 8

speaker-test 1.0.24.2

Playback device is hw:2,3
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 8 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Channels count (8) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument