[alsa-devel] [Alsa-devel]JACK will block audio application and audio application will also blcok JACK

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:11:21 CEST 2011

2011/4/18 cong fu <fc4976 at gmail.com>

> Hi experts:
> I installed JACK and the GUI of it looks good.
>  But it seems it will block the "audio application" and "audio
> application" will also blcok it.
> That is to say:
> 1) If I started the JACK by:
> sudo /usr/bin/jackd -r -m -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -P
> Then I open my web brower and try to play a streaming song(play by
> flash), the song can't play!

Do you need to run "jackd" using "sudo" ?

This is normal when your sound card does not support hardware mixing

however both alsa-jack and alsa-pulse plugin are I/O plug

if web browser can use alsa "default" device through "alsa-pulse" plugin to
pulseaudio server

in theory the web browser can also use alsa "default" device through
"alsa-jack" plugin to jack server

assume that you don't use any OSS aplication any more