[alsa-devel] pls help to debug / patch ALC861 on Uniwill L51RI

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 12 15:41:19 CEST 2011

Dear Florian,

Am Sonntag, den 10.04.2011, 08:51 +0000 schrieb Florian:
> I have a laptop (Uniwill L51RI [Gericom Hollywood Advance]) with HDA ALC861.
> On initial installation of Ubuntu (any from 8.x - to 10.10) sound output works
> with ALSA without problem, input not at all.
> I have managed to get the microphone sound (int. or ext. can't remember) played
> back via speakers using HDA-Analyzer,
> not managed to get it to record etc.
>
> My plan:
> >From a clean install (preferable Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04) compile newest ALSA;
> then what are the first steps to do to be able to trace my steps and to get
> support here or somewhere else?
> Who can help me to debug the whole thing and make it available for everyone?

since you are using Ubuntu, the easiest way is to follow their
instructions to solve sound related problems and report it to them using
`ubuntu-bug audio` [1]. There are several developers working for(?)
Ubuntu who will probably be able to help you really quickly.

> Where should I put output from alsa-info.sh,

The developers prefer it, if you attach it to your message to the list.
But you can also *additionally* upload it to the ALSA site.

> who can help me make a new model for snd-hda-intel module?

The developers if they have time. I guess for this it is better to bug
them on the IRC channel.

> How do I use the codecgraph?

Sorry, I do not know.

> (I'm happy to get some direct links for specific pages, however, I gave up on
> google, followed everything I could find. Most sensible seems to me try
> HDA-Analyzer together with someone who can help me get a bit further [if I get
> mic sound to output, how do I get it to record etc.])
>
> UPDATE:
> Currently I use Ubuntu 10.10 32bit, with HDA Analyzer I managed to play around a
> lot and can output the mic-input (int+ext) directly to speakers and headphones,
> however, I cannot find a way to send it to any software/make it available.
> in the standard gnome audio capture software (forgot the name) I can record
> software output (eg. mp3's) when i switch the used audio device to "Analog
> Output" and then back to "Analog Duplex" (then nothing is selected in capture
> device - the moment I select the only available device, "mic", there is nothing
> to be captured any more).
>
> any hints, advice?

I am sorry to not be able to help you right away.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems